Interfaith Leadership & Religious Literacy
A focus on understanding among faith traditions in America reflects our founder’s principle that religious diversity is essential to civil discourse within a democracy and that leaders in all walks of life are more effective through an appreciation for the religious views of others.
|The Hartford Seminary Peacemaking Fellows program identifies young American Christian leaders working for peace in religiously diverse communities of the United States, building on its expertise in Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations and continuing the success of its breakthrough International Peacemaking Program. Photo courtesy of Hartford Seminary.
Interfaith Leadership Grants emphasize the importance of preparing leaders to model meaningful engagement among different faith traditions. Such leaders include those who serve in clerical roles as well as in civic, academic, business, professional, and nonprofit sectors.
Religious Literacy Grants enhance public understanding of the religious beliefs and practices that shape America, both historically and in the present.
Organizations applying through the Foundations' Interfaith Leadership & Religious Literacy program must meet the following criteria to be competitive for a grant from the Foundations:
- The organization or institution must be closely linked to a private, degree granting institution of higher education or be a national organization with significant ties to private higher education.
The most competitive proposals will:
- Focus on programs designed for college-aged students, graduate students, or career professionals;
- Emphasize interfaith curriculum development in theological schools, private colleges or universities, graduate schools, and programs with national impact;
- Further the understanding and programming around interfaith issues in palliative care; and
- Explore the interfaith issues embedded in our environmental challenges and solutions.
Eligible institutions may request planning grants that range from $25,000 up to $100,000, or comprehensive grants up to $250,000 - $300,000. Click HERE for more information about grant types and amounts.
When & How to Apply
Please refer to the information in Grantseeking Organizations
Submitted material related to the grant proposal will not be returned.